Friday 14 October 2016

Broken Legions from Osprey Wargames



I recently treated my self to a copy of Broken Legions written by Mark Latham and published by Osprey Wargames. My particular copy was bought from e-bay, but I am aware that copies can be bought from a wide variety of different sources.

I was intrigued to see if the Fantasy/Roman setting would offer anything new to one of my favourite games Pax Bochemannica or Noman Orcs vs. Halfling Boche.

The 64 page, card bound book follows the same format of many of the Osprey Wargames publications with clear text interspersed with colour images of wargame dioramas and newly commissioned artwork.

I found the rules to be easy to follow (however I will add that at this time I am still to play a game) and the sections laid out in a logical manner. To this end I find this and similar Osprey Wargames publications to be great introductions or as our American friends might say - Primers to a new genre or period.

There was much to commend the book, but there was also one chapter that I found a little light and disappointing - Scenarios. I had hoped that there would be more, and in particular more to use with the Pax Bochemannica background, but I found all five published scenarios to be too simplistic. particularly when this new period/genre offers so much more.  I do accept that this is a personal view and others may be happy with the Scenario and Campaign sections. I am also aware that there is a regular feed of fan-written scenarios and articles published in the wargame press, so just maybe I'll see something soon. There is after all a wealth of comic book content with the Celtic hero Slaine from 2000 AD to use as inspiration.

Overall a great introduction to a new gaming project and one that I feel was worth every penny. 9 out of 10.

Broken Legions
Fantasy Skirmish Wargmames in the Roman Empire
Written by Mark Latham and published by Osprey Wargames
For more details see this link
ISBN 978 1 4728 1513 2
List price £11.99

Tony

1 comment:

J Womack, Esq. said...

I just love their artwork.