Wednesday 1 July 2015

A Scratch-Built Vendee Windmill - as featured in Wargames Soldiers & Strategy issue 79



For the first post of July, I have included this staged image of a scratch-built 28mm Vendee Windmill which I build for a themed article and modelling tutorial in Wargames Soldiers & Strategy issue 79 (July/August 2015).

The model was built following a direct request from Guy (Editor) and the construction and painting is covered in great detail, allowing a competent modeller to build a similar structure.

For full details see Wargames Soldiers and Strategy issue 79 - due in shops now. You can also find details of the official WS & S website here.


The article Building a Vendee Moulin - Tilting at Windmills was great fun to work on, allowing me the opportunity to build one of these unusual straight sided windmills with the distinctive pointed roof. It also features a new technique, one that has not been seen in either Building Wargame Terrain or More Wargame Terrain, - namely the use of cork to simulate stone.

Regular readers and followers will know that this is not the first Windmill I have modelled. I have a couple of scratch built models in my personal collection as well as having built 'master models' for Grand Manner. This particular model is for sale and has been featured on The Miniatures Page market - for full details of how you can own this piece of terrain go to this e-bay link.

Tony

3 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

I really like that!!! and you´ve made me realise I´m missing a windmill !! :-D

Gavin Syme (GBS) said...

A great looking building Tony. Well done.

Makes me wonder which nation in Flintloque it would belong to. Perhaps Elvish or even Burrovian.

Gavin.

Heisler said...

Windmills fascinate me although I have never had a use for them on the table. That's a great model though, I'll see if I can find that issue and see what method you developed for working with cork.